Bhamashah card is issued under the Bhamashah Yojana. The Bhamashah Yojana was introduced by the government of Rajasthan with an aim to transfer financial and non-financial benefits of governmental schemes directly in a transparent and clear way. The Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje launched the scheme on 15 August 2014 in Udaipur. The scheme is named after the Bhamashah a famous minister, financier and general who helped Maharana Pratap.
The Bhamashah Financial Inclusion scheme was initiated way back in 2008. In fact, it was the first Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) programs of the country. However, due to various reasons, it went into hibernation for 5 years. With the pledge that was made to the residents, the Scheme was revamped, reactivated and launched on 68th Independence Day of India in 2014.
This initiative was a big step towards the Women Financial Empowerment. The project is expected to give financial freedom to around 1.5 crores women all over Rajasthan with a key goal to create a strong foundation of society by making the women of Rajasthan independent, empowered and capable. The project is expected to mark a new beginning in making women self-sufficient. As part of the arrangement, financial benefits from Government’s other projects will all be deposited in the same bank. Rajasthan government will be investing Rs.600 crores on Bhamashah Project.
Main Features of Bhamashah Card
- Women Head will be given a strong identity along with other members.
- Benefits from other schemes like MNREGS, Pension, Scholarships and PDS will now be linked with this project.
- Under this scheme, the state government would provide cash amount of Rs. 2000 in the name of the woman head of every BPL family of the Rajasthan state in two installments.
- Bank accounts will be opened for about 1.5 crores families in the name the women heads.
- Second installment of Rs. 1000 would be transferred to the bank account approximately six months after the first installment.
- Apart from this, those BPL families having Aadhaar Cards of their members would be given additional Rs. 100 per member.
- This scheme too had been integrated with the Prime Minister’s Jan Dhan Yojana so that the benefits available in that scheme could also be given availed.
- Entire details of transactions would be available on the mobile phone and information about the transfer of benefit and withdrawal of money would be immediately communicated through mobile phone SMS.
- Bhamashah card holder women would be able to get rations from the PDS shops using the bio-metric system.
- The PDS shopkeepers would be given the commission only if they distribute rationed items through the biometric system.
- With the Bhamashah card poor and deprived people would also get the facility of medical insurance for treatment amounting from Rs. 30,000 to Rs 3 lakh.
- Bhamashah card holder will be able to obtained services at different service point which include bank branches, ATMs, e-mitra kiosk. Additionally integrated service delivery shall be ensured at Rajasthan Sampark IT Centers right up to Panchayat level and Municipal areas.