Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan
The main motive of the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan is to make rural India digitally literate. For the same government is taking a huge lot of initiatives. Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan abbreviated as PMGDSA is a new scheme which was approved by the union cabinet on 8th February 2017.
2,351.38 crore Indian Rupees is the estimated capital involved in this scheme. This scheme aims to make 6 Crore rural households digitally learned by March 2019. The union cabinet managed by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, approved the scheme with an expenditure of Rs. 2,351.38 for execution of the scheme till March 2019 under the Digital India Initiative.
About the PMGDSA scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan (PMGDSA) is expected to be the world’s largest digital literacy program launched up till now.
- The scheme would be implemented under the overall supervision of Ministry of Electronics and IT in active collaboration with states and union territories through their designated State Implementing Agencies, District e-Governance Society (DeGS) etc.
- The scheme would be launched very soon because the government aims to train about 25 Lakh candidates within the current financial year. Out of the 6 Crore targeted 2.75 crores will be trained in FY 2017-18 and rest 3 crores in FY 2018-19.
The government has decided to launch this scheme to make rural India digitally literate. As per the 71st NSSO Survey on Education conducted in 2014: out of the total 16.85 Crore, rural households only about 1.8 Crore have a computer. Thus a significant number of rest 15 Crore households are likely to be digitally illiterate. The number is quite huge. Execution of such schemes is essential for the growth of the country.
Execution of Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan
The scheme would be implemented across the country. Under the scheme, it will be ensured that there is an impartial geographical reach. The government would encourage registration of about 200-300 candidates by each of the 2.5 Lac Gram Panchayats.
- The scheme would assure to educate the rural India by giving them training about digital equipment like computers and other digital devices such as smartphones and tablets.
- The above mentioned shall contain the curriculum as follows:
- Basic training such as sending and receiving e-mails,
- Browsing the internet,
- Using internet facilities like making digital payments, access government information, searching information on the internet,
- To access basic IT applications
These were the amenities that are provided to the candidates under this scheme. The Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan (PMGDSA) would further help in fulfilling the objective of digital India. The scheme is helpful to make Indian people aware of the happenings around the world as they would be connected to the internet.
These digitally literate people would be able to use services like the mobile banking or internet banking for cashless transactions thus also contributing to the cashless India initiative of the central government by the Prime Minister of India.