Places In Bijapur (Vijayapura) Must Visit For Every Wanderlust
Bijapur famous as Vijayapura is the district in Karnataka rich in historical attractions. The town is blessed with scattered ruins and intact gems dating back to the 15th – 17th century. Mainly justifying Islamic architectures, Bijapur offers the people a sight of beautiful architectural monuments, old caricatures, and Muslim culture. It is one of the places that one should not miss to see in India.
Here are some of the locations listed below that you can visit in Vijayapura:
Built by Ali Adil Shah, I (1558–80) is one of largest Mosque in the region of Vijayapura. This is one of the biggest mosque standing tall since 450 years. With a large hall, elegant arches, and 33 smaller domes surrounding it. Jami Masjid has a fine copy of Quran, written in gold.
The biggest monument in Bijapur, Gol Gumbaz is the tomb of Mohammad Adil Shah. The dome is the largest, after St Peter’s Basilica, to have ever been built. Every noise echoes in the central chamber of the structure and the faintest sounds made in the Whispering Gallery are heard clearly at a distance of precisely 37 metres. There are ruins of old guest houses, a hall for trumpeters known as Naqqar Khana and a mosque within the monuments.
The tomb of Ibrahim Adil Shah II, it is built on a single rock and is important because of the symmetry of its features. This tomb is believed to have been a source of inspiration for the Taj Mahal.
Basant Vana (Lord Shiva Statue)
The 85-foot (26 m) tall statue of Lord Shiva considered as the second biggest statue of Lord Shiva in the country was prepared by sculptors from Shimoga for more than 13 months. Bangalore-based architects gave the civilian design, and the statue weighs around 1,500 tonnes. For helping devotees to learn the mythological stories related to Lord Shiva, “Shiva Charite” are inscribed in Kannada on the inner walls of the temple.
It is a tank that was built by Ali Adil Shah, named after his wife Chand Bibi, to meet the needs of the migrants within the town. That’s why it is also famous as Chand Bawdi. The water tank has a capacity of about 20 million litres. Many structures were built around it, mainly for a living of the maintenance staff.
It was the largest cannon in medieval India with a length of 4 m, 1.5 m diameter and a weight of 55 Tons. It was brought from Ahmednagar after a victory in battle. It is placed upon a special plinth that was made for the cannon. The nozzle of the barrel is designed to look like a lion’s head with an elephant crushed between its teeth.
Mohammed Adil Shah built the Asar Mahal in about 1646, which was used to serve as a Hall of Justice. The building was also used to house hairs from the Prophet’s beard. The rooms on the upper storey are decorated with frescoes, and the front is graced with a square tank. Here women are not allowed inside. Every year there is yours (festival) held at this place. In front of the hall, one can see three tanks the bigger tank, which is at the centre is about 15 feet (4.6 m) deep. However, the other two are comparatively smaller in size as well as depth. Behind Asar Mahal, one can still see the remnants of the citadel. Just a kilometre away behind Asar Mahal, one can still find the old mosque which is on top of the castle wall. There is a big entrance with arc below this mosque. Many stones have inscriptions. The site is under maintenance of Archeological Survey of India.
A mausoleum of Ali Roza built in 1672. It was previously named as Ali Roza. Later on, Shah Nawab Khan changed its name to Bara Kaman as this was the 12th monument during his reign. It has now seven arches and the tomb containing the graves of Ali, his queens and eleven other ladies possibly belonging to the Zenana of the queens.
Mehtar Mahal dated to 1620 is one of the most elegant structures in the fort; the entry gate, in particular, has been built in Indo-Saracenic style. The façade has three arches, which depict exquisite “cornice supported on carved corbels”. A gateway leads to the Mehtar mosque, which is a three-storey building. It has two slender minarets that are covered with delicately carved birds and rows of swans. The carvings are in Hindu architectural style, in the form of brackets supporting the balconies and stone trellis work. The building has a flat roof and minarets have rounded top
Built around 1584 by Hyder Khan, is an 80-foot-high (24 m) tower standing to the north of Dakhani Idgah in Vijayapura. It is a spherical structure with stone steps winding around the outside. Top of the tower offers a commanding view of the city. Also known as “Hyder Burj”, “Upli Burj”, on the upper part of Upli Burj, there are two guns of immense size. The para feet this tower was used for monitoring purposes has been fenced now. Except for this tower, there is very little evidence of the citadel wall in this area due to rampant construction.