- 1 Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme Punjab: Educating and Empowering girls
- 1.1 Why the Name Mai Bhago?
- 1.2 What is Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme?
- 1.3 Objectives of Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme
- 1.4 Benefits of the Scheme
- 1.5 Eligibility Criteria
- 1.6 Documents Required
- 1.7 Applying Procedure
Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme Punjab: Educating and Empowering girls
The Punjab State Government had launched Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme in 2011 for improving the girl education in the state. As per the information obtained from the district education department of Punjab, 1,800 students against the total 2,251 students of Class 11 have received bicycles so far.
Under this scheme, girl students from the senior school, belonging to a BPL family are eligible for the benefit. Also, this scheme shall benefit the girls studying in standards 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th in government schools in Punjab. The state government had introduced the scheme with an aim to decrease the school dropout rate among girls in Punjab.
Why the Name Mai Bhago?
Mai Bhago was a Sikh woman who led Sikh soldiers against the Mughals in 1705. She killed several enemy soldiers on the battlefield. She, after the war, is considered to be a saint by Sikhs. The name of the scheme is kept after her.
What is Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme?
In the Punjab, most of the girls leave their education after 8th class because schools are far away from their home as it is not easy for them to go to the school without any vehicles. Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme is rendering help to those school going girls who cannot afford their vehicles to reach the schools.
Objectives of Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme
- Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme was launched in the year 2011-12.
- The main motto of this scheme is to inspire the girl child to complete the school education.
- Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme has aimed to ensure that the girl’s students continue their education beyond the level of primary,
- The scheme aims at promoting girls registration and reduce the dropout of the girl child in the senior secondary and higher secondary school level.
Benefits of the Scheme
Government provides free bicycles to girls studying in standards 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th in government schools in Punjab
- A girl should be resident of Punjab state
- A girl should be studying in standards 9th,10th , 11th and 12th in government school
- A girl student should belong to below poverty line (BPL) family
- Aadhaar card
- Resident proof
- BPL card
- Caste certificate if applicable
- School certificate
- A girl candidate should visit headmaster/principal of government school or college
- A girl candidate must also visit education officer in related Districts/Taluka in Punjab
To know more or to apply for the scheme click on http://www.punjab.gov.in/
In Punjab, most of the girls leave their schooling after the class 8th as schools are far away from their residents. In this scenario, the Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme is a boon for these girls who wish to study further but are restricted due to undeniable constraints. The scheme was first initiated in the year 2011.