Keep your SIM activated: Link it with your Aadhar Card
A circular has been issued by Department of Telecom (DoT) in March 2017. The circular said that Aadhaar-based e-KYC is mandatory for new mobile phone connections. Further, the circular guided the Telecom companies to re-verify the existing user base, pre-paid and post-paid, using the subscriber’s unique Aadhaar identity number and biometric details. Telecom companies have been given with a span of one year to complete this activity. Hence the customers of certain connections are receiving an SMS asking to link their mobile number to Aadhaar.
Only Reliance-JIO SIM Users Will not Have to Follow This Process as they already have performed the Biometric Verification at the time of SIM Purchase. Airtel, Idea and some other networks have already sent messages to their users to link Aadhaar card number with the mobile number to continue their services.
In this article, we are letting you know, how you can re-verify your SIM Card using Aadhar Card.
Linking of Aadhaar Card to Continue Mobile Services is as follows:
If you are an Airtel or Idea company user, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
For Airtel and Idea or Other Network Users:
- Visit your nearest retail store of Airtel or Idea or Your Respective SIM.
- Ask the store keeper for Airtel/Idea Aadhaar Upgradation for existing user.
- He will send a four digit verification code (like OTP) on your number for the next level verification process.
- You have to give that verification number to the Storekeeper Again
- The retailer/store keeper will ask for your fingerprint for the biometric verification
- Within 24 hours, you will receive another confirmation message indicating your final verification
- You just have to reply with the word “Y” (that stands for YES); the verification process will be completed.
- You, SIM Card, Has Been Successfully Linked With Your Aadhaar Card
Important Things to Remember When Linking Your Mobile Number with Aadhar Card:
- Aadhaar card copy of SIM card owner & its number
- Switched on mobile with SIM card
- OTP you receive during the entire process
- Fingerprint for the biometric verification
Why is it Necessary?
- As per New Government Rules & Regulation (DOT), Government prescribed all the telecom operators to re-verify all SIM card by Aadhar Card, otherwise, telecom companies will discontinue all SIM Card those who have not verify or linked their number with their Aadhar Card.
- This rule will ban all those who have kept many SIM cards for making fraud calls.
- Your SIM will be deactivated upon disobedience of the rule.
- The reason why only some users are getting this message is that those users who purchased their SIM cards by other documents like License, Voter id etc. they have to verify their SIM using Aadhar Card number.
- Currently, it is Free to link mobile number & Aadhar card.
- There is not any online Method available yet so don’t search and trust on any fake websites otherwise your documents will be misused.
Why Has Government Taken This Action?
Due to Crime & fake SIM cards, it is compulsory to Link Aadhar card number to mobile for all new and old users.