What is ration card?
Ration Card is a card issued by the government to the citizens of the country to buy subsidized food items such as wheat and rice and fuel like LPG and kerosene. They have turned out to be very helpful for the poor. It provides them with basic food items and also serves as an identity proof and provides a connection to the government database.
There are three types of ration card issued by the government of India:
1. BPL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families falling below the poverty line. Those who do not cross the income of 10,000 annually can apply for BPL Ration Card.
2. APL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families who fall above the poverty line. There is no income limit for this and anybody can apply for this ration card.
3. Antyodaya Ration Card
This is issued to the poorest family struggling to survive in the country. Unemployed people, woman and old people are covered under this category.
Reasons to surrender Ration Card
- Moving to a new residence in another state
- Marriage of a girl
- Death of family member
- Separation in family
- Other reason
How to surrender ration card online?
The application form for surrendering the ration card is available online. Follow the step by step instructions given below to surrender ration card:
- Go to the official website of your state’s Food Supply Department.
- Find the link of surrendering ration card.
- Click on the link and a new page will be displayed showing the application form.
- Fill in the application form and attach the documents asked for.
- Make sure you fill the application carefully without any mistakes.
- Submit the form after completing it.
- An official from the Food Supply Department will verify the form and the documents and may come to your home for the same.
- This may take 7-15 days. Until then you can check the status of your ration card online.
How to surrender ration card offline?
If one does not have proper access to the internet then the ration card can be deleted through the offline process also. Go to the local food and supply department and ask for the application form of ration card surrender. Fill in the application form given and attach the copy of the documents required. The fee of name addition varies from state to state. However, usually, 5-10 Rs are taken for surrendering the ration card. A receipt will be given to you in return. An official from food and supply department will verify the documents and may visit your residence for the same.
- Marriage certificate
- New address proof
- Identity proof