What is voter ID card?
The Voter ID Card is issued by the election commission of India and it serves as an identity proof while casting votes in the electronic voting machine in Assembly, Lok Sabha and Municipal election in India. The voter ID carries all the personal details of the holder of the card with a unique identification number. Till now more than 450 million voters ID cards have been made for the citizens all across the country. Any person who is above the age of 18 years is eligible for getting a voter ID card made. However bankrupt and mentally sick people over 18 years do not qualify to vote, therefore it is not issued to them.
How to make corrections?
Sometimes it happens that wrong name or address or date of birth gets printed in the voter ID card due to some mistake or is incorrectly mentioned by the applicant. In such cases, the mistake can be rectified online. Follow the step by step instructions given below to make corrections in the voter ID card.
- Fill form 8 available on the National’s Voters Services Portal. Go to the form by clicking on the link given http://www.nvsp.in/forms/form8.html
- Now start filling in the form. Make sure you do it carefully, this time, to avoid further corrections in future.
- First, fill in the applicant’s details. The name has to be mentioned both in Hindi and English. Make use of the popped up keyboard to type in Hindi.
- Then the address. Mention the full address.
- Then the details of the elector’s photo identity card.
- Then upload the supporting documents of proof of identity and proof of address.
Proof of Address Documents
- Electricity/Water Bill
- Statement issued by Bank
- MTNL / BSNL Telephone bills
- Bank Passbooks
- Driving License
- Ration Card
Proof of Identity Documents
- 10th Standard passing certificate
- Birth certificate issued by the civic agency of your state or any other appropriate document signifying the voter’s age.
- School Leaving Certificate Specifying Age
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Senior Citizen Card (if applicable)
- Aadhaar Card
- Kissan Card
- Now very carefully mention the details which are to be corrected.
- In the end, three buttons would be given, “reset”, “save” and “submit”. The reset button is to be clicked if you made some mistakes and wish to fill it again. Save button is too clicked when you have to stop filling the form due to some problems. Save the form and it will open from wherever you left it before. And click the submit button if you have filled the form fully and carefully and are satisfied with it.
- After submitting the form, after a few days, a block level officer (BLO) will come to your place to verify the information to process a new voter ID card for you.
- After a few days, the new voter ID card will be dispatched to you. Till then you can track the status of your voter ID card online.