How to link Aadhaar Card with PAN Card?
A central government agency of India, UIDAI i.e. Unique Identification Authority of India came up with an objective to collect biometric and demographic data of all the residents of India in a centralized database. As a conclusion for this objective, they came up with Aadhaar Card which is not just any card but the world’s largest national identification number project. The project started in 2009 under the Planning Commission of India.
Aadhaar card is a 12 digit unique identity number. It is the unique proof of identity of individuals but not citizenship issued by the government of India after collecting the biometric details like fingerprints and iris scan of the people. It can be used anywhere in India and it has all the information on the front of the card like Name, Sex, Date of Birth, along with QR code and Aadhaar number. A QR Code is printed to verify the originality of the card. This code contains all the information of the card holder in electronic form. Additional informational like address, father’s name are printed on the back side.
Only one Aadhaar card per family is not enough, every member has to get his or her own Aadhaar Card. Each Aadhaar Card number issued will be unique to each and every individual and will remain valid for life. There is no need to renew the Aadhaar card in future. Aadhaar Card by Unique Identification Authority of India i.e. UIDAI is not compulsory but completely optional for all the citizens of India. But still, it is recommended to get it issued, to be able to avail the benefits of government schemes like Pahal DBTL Scheme for getting a subsidy in bank accounts and much more such schemes.
On the other hand, Permanent Account Number (PAN) is also unique to each individual and acts as a code of identification of Indians, especially those who pay income tax. It is a 10-characters alpha-numeric identifier issued to all judicial entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act of 1961. It also serves as an important proof of identification and is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department. The PAN is a must for a majority of financial transactions such as opening a bank account, receiving taxable salary or professional fees, sale or purchase of goods above specified limits etc.
It is also issued to foreign nationals unlike Aadhaar Card and Driving License and hence, it is not an acceptable proof of Indian citizenship. Due to its significance more and more people are getting PAN Card made and it is mandatory of taxpayers and to get income tax returns. It is valid for the lifetime but it is issued only once. However, duplicate PAN card can be procured in the case of loss and damage.
Procedure of linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Follow the step by step instructions mentioned below to link your PAN Card with Aadhaar Card.
- Register yourself at the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department.
- In case you are already registered then simply log in using your ID and password.
- One you have logged in successfully, a new window will pop up proposing to link your PAN Card with your Aadhaar Card.
- The registered details will be displayed on the screen automatically.
- Verify each and every detail carefully.
- If the details are tallying, just type in your Aadhaar card number. Click the “link now” button.
- Within few seconds, a message will appear on the screen informing you of successful linking of your PAN and UID.
- If your details are not tallying as in your Aadhaar card, submit a valid proof and get the details corrected.
Advantages of Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
- It helps to prevent tax evasion. All the taxable transactions can be kept under scrutiny with this facility.
- The linking procedure will curb the issue of multiple PAN cards by a single entity.
- The government can link the identity of any firm or individual through Aadhaar card.
- It helps to file your e-returns quickly and easily.
- If your Aadhaar card is linked with your PAN card, you do not need to submit Income tax acknowledgment to IT, Bangalore.
- The government is all set to link Aadhaar card with passport too. The initiative is also tested at some passport, Seva Kendra.