Permanent Account Number (PAN) is unique to each individual and acts as a code of identification of Indians, especially those who pay income tax. It is a 10-characters alpha-numeric identifier issued to all judicial entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act of 1961. Issued by the Indian Income Tax Department it serves as an important proof of identification. The PAN is a must for a majority of financial transactions such as opening a bank account, receiving taxable salary or professional fees, sale or purchase of goods above specified limits etc.
To carry out all the activities pertaining to the application, issue and renewal of PAN Card government have authorized financial service providers like NSDL, UTI, Samantha, and e-Mudhra. People who want to apply for PAN Card can download the application form. But while applying one should know how to fill up the application form correctly without any trouble and mistakes.
PAN Card details
The PAN Card is not just made randomly; it is following a particular pattern.
- The first three characters in the PAN are always alphabetical numbers.
- What type of PAN Card it is, is represented by the fourth character.
- P – Individual
- F – Firm
- C – Company
- H – HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
- A – AOP (Association of Persons)
- T – Trust
- The PAN holder’s surname is represented by the fifth character.
- The next four characters are the sequential numbers (from 0001 to 9999)
- The last character is an alphabetic check digit.
How to fill in the application form?
Make sure you are very careful while filling in the application form. Read the guidelines carefully before you begin to fill the form. But in case any mistakes are made, later they can be rectified by filling in the PAN Card correction form. The below-mentioned details are to be filled in the application form:
- Name and Address
While filling in the name column, the last name has to be filled first, then the first name and then the middle name. There is also the option given of the name you would like to get printed on the card. Fill that in carefully for not to get it changed later.
- Date of Birth or Date of Incorporation in case of firm
- Father’s Name (for individual)
This only has to be mentioned when the applicant is selecting the individual category. In the case of firm, nothing has to be mentioned in this field. Keep in mind father’s name will also be filled in the same format as the applicant filled its own name. They will ask which parent’s name you want to get printed in the PAN Card.
- Phone Number
- Address for communication
This will be the address they will contact if any situation arises. Make sure you fill in this field very carefully.
- Residential or office address
- Status of Applicant (applicable in case of firms)
- Aadhar card number in case of Indian citizen
The Aadhaar Card number would be there on your Aadhaar Card on the front side.
PAN Card inquiry
If you have any doubt/query regarding your PAN Card application you can call on the toll-free numbers. Call on UTI if you have applied through UTI online portal and call through NSDL if you have applied through NSDL online portal.
- UTI Customer Care Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 306
- UTI Customer Care Number (call charges applicable): 022 6793 1300
- NSDL Customer Care Number (call charges applicable): 022 2721 8080