Gmail provided by Google is a free, advertising-supported email service. Users can access Gmail as secure webmail, as well as POP3 or IMAP4 protocols. Gmail started as an invitation-only beta release on April 1, 2004, and it became available to the general public on February 7, 2007, though still in beta status at that time. Gmail has a search-oriented interface and a “conversation view” similar to an Internet forum. As of February 2016, it was the most widely used web-based email provider with over 1 billion active users worldwide.
Gmail was ranked second in PC World’s “100 Best Products of 2005”, behind Mozilla Firefox. Gmail also won ‘Honorable Mention’ in the Bottom Line Design Awards 2005. In September 2006, Forbes magazine declared Gmail to be the best webmail application for small businesses. In November 2006, Gmail received PC World’s 4-star rating.
Opening a Gmail account is an easy and simple process. You can deal with all professional and well as personal emails through it. Along with the various tools Google provides you are also very helpful. Follow the step by step instructions given below to open your Gmail account.
- Open the internet browser you are using and go to Google homepage by typing in the address bar google.com.
- Click on Gmail at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- A new page will be displayed. You cannot sign in as you don’t have Google account, you need to create on. Click on ‘Create an account.’
- Now you begin creating your account. Mention all the details asked.
- First, mention your name (first name and last name). Then you have to choose your username and password. Make sure you type them correctly. If the email name that you requested in is not available, you’ll get a message saying that somebody already has that username and offering you some alternatives. You can decide to accept one of the alternatives or types in another name and check its availability once more. You will have to complete some of the other boxes again. You may have to do this a few times. Once you finalize your email address, it’s a good idea to make a note of it so that you can refer to it until you remember it.
- Confirm your new password for the verification process.
- In the next fields mention your birthday, gender and mobile number.
- Then your current email address and your location.
- Now after filling in all the details click on ‘Next step.’
- In the next step, you will have to type in the CAPTCHA code. You can skip this step if you don’t want to type in the CAPTCHA code but you will need to verify via a mobile phone if you don’t.
- Once you have completed this page fully, clicking Next Step will take you to the Create Profile Page. If you don’t wish to have a picture on the web, click Next Step to complete setting up your email. If you do, click on Add Profile Photo and find a photo to add. Then click Next Step.
- Now click on your inbox and get started.