What is voter ID card?
Issued by the election commission of India, the Indian Voter ID Card serves as an identity proof while casting votes in the electronic voting machine in Assembly, Lok Sabha and Municipal elections in India. It can be issued to all the citizens of the country who are above the age of 18 years. The voter ID card carries the personal details of the person whereas a unique identification number. Till now more than 450 million voter ID cards have been distributed all across the country.
How to check your name?
If you wish to check whether your name is present in the voter list after getting your voter ID card made then you can do that very easily and hassle free. Follow the step by step instructions given below to check your name in the voter list.
- Go to the official website of Election Commission of India by click on the link given http://eci.nic.in/eci_main1/Linkto_electo_search.aspx
- A page will be displayed where the list of all the states will be displayed.
- Select the state you reside in or the state you mentioned at the time of applying for the voter ID card in the application form.
- After selecting the state, a new page will be displayed putting forward three ways you can check your name. You can check by either putting in your card number or your name or your area/locality.
- Select the way you want to check. After clicking on one, again a new page will be displayed. Again fill in the information asked and you will be able to check whether your name is there in the voter list or not.
However if you don’t wish to check it online or you don’t have proper access to internet or computer then you can do it offline also. Visit the nearest electoral office to your home and ask the officials there to check your name in the list. Make sure you carry the documents of proof of identity and proof of address with you to the electoral office.
Proof of Address Documents
- Electricity/Water Bill
- Statement issued by Bank
- MTNL / BSNL Telephone bills
- Bank Passbooks
- Driving License
- Ration Card
Proof of Identity Documents
- 10th Standard passing certificate
- Birth certificate issued by the civic agency of your state or any other appropriate document signifying the voter’s age.
- School Leaving Certificate Specifying Age
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Senior Citizen Card (if applicable)
- Aadhaar Card
- Kissan Card