What is ration card?
Ration Card is a card issued by the government to the citizens of the country to buy subsidized food items such as wheat and rice and fuel like LPG and kerosene. They have turned out to be very helpful for the poor. It provides them with basic food items and also serves as an identity proof and provides a connection to the government database.
There are three types of ration card issued by the government of India:
1. BPL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families falling below the poverty line. Those who do not cross the income of 10,000 annually can apply for BPL Ration Card.
2. APL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families who fall above the poverty line. There is no income limit for this and anybody can apply for this ration card.
3. Antyodaya Ration Card
This is issued to the poorest family struggling to survive in the country. Unemployed people, woman and old people are covered under this category.
How to check status?
The online status of ration card makes you available with all the information regarding the status and processing of application form. Follow the step by step instructions given below to check the status of your ration card.
- Visit the official website of your state’s food supply department.
- Find the link to check the status of ration card.
- When you click on the link a page will be displayed asking you some details.
- Fill in the details asked for city, state, pin code, application number etc.
- Click on the submit button after filling in all the details.
- Finally, the status regarding your ration card will be displayed on the screen.
Although it should be kept in mind that till now only a few states have provided the facility of checking the status of your ration card online like Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Delhi and 2-3 more. In the other states in which this facility is not available, one can always check the status offline. Go to the local food supply department office and ask for the status. Make sure you carry with you the documents of proof of residence and identity proof.
Proof of Address Documents
- Electricity/Water Bill
- Statement issued by Bank
- MTNL / BSNL Telephone bills
- Bank Passbooks
- Driving License
Proof of Identity Documents
- 10th Standard passing certificate
- Birth certificate issued by the civic agency of your state or any other appropriate document signifying the voter’s age.
- School Leaving Certificate Specifying Age
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Senior Citizen Card (if applicable)
- Aadhaar Card
- Kisan Card