Passport is an official document issued by the government of the country. Along with allowing you to travel internationally it also acts as the biggest proof of citizenship as per the Passports Act of 1967. The offline process to apply for the passport is really time-consuming. Keeping this in mind the Ministry of External Affairs has started the online facility of applying for the passport. It is issued to any citizen after following all the procedures like application and verification.
After you have applied online for the passport and filled up the application form but still there is no response then you can always check the status of your passport online. The status can be checked on Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Office for Passport online portals. One should start the tracking process minimum after 5 working days.
How to check the status online?
The track the status of your passport application follows the step by step instructions given below:
- Click on the link given http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/statusTracker/trackStatusInpNew
- A track passport application page will open at the official online portal of Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India knows as the Passport Seva Kendra.
- Select your application type from the drop down menu.
- In the next step enter your file number. Make sure you enter it correctly.
- Put in your date of birth from the calendar icon. The date of birth should be exactly the same you mentioned in the application form for the passport.
- After filling in all the asked details click on the button “Track Status”.
- A screen will then be displayed regarding the status of your passport application.
- These messages are easy to understand and tell you the exact status of your passport. Some of the most common status messages are:
- Application Submitted
- Application Under View
- Police Verification Pending
- Police Verification Initiated
- Passport Dispatched
- Passport Printed
If one does not have access to internet or computer or does not know how to operate either of them but wishes to check the status of their passport application it can be done by sending an SMS or by calling the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the Regional Passport Office (RPO).
How to check the status through SMS?
If you wish to receive updates and alerts on your passport status you can select for the SMS service in the application form while filling it. However if you have not selected the SMS service in the application form you can still enroll yourself for SMS service by using Enroll for SMS Services under Service section after login. You can also send an SMS on 9704100100 and write your file no, after STATUS. You can also send this same SMS in the given format to any other Passport Seva Kendra number if given. You will receive the current status of your passport in return.
The government of India has offered many facilities so that citizens of the country can avail the passport services easily and without any hassle. Online tracking of passport status and knowing passport application status through SMS are also part of the passport services.