A central government agency of India, UIDAI i.e. Unique Identification Authority of India came up with an objective to collect biometric and demographic data of all the residents of India in a centralized database. As a conclusion for this objective, they came up with Aadhaar Card which is not just any card but the world’s largest national identification number project. The project started in 2009 under the Planning Commission of India.
Aadhaar card is a 12 digit unique identity number. It is the unique proof of identity of individuals but not citizenship issued by the government of India after collecting the biometric details like fingerprints and iris scan of the people. It can be used anywhere in India and it has all the information on the front of the card like Name, Sex, Date of Birth, along with QR code and Aadhaar number. A QR Code is printed to verify the originality of the card. This code contains all the information of the card holder in electronic form. Additional informational like address, father’s name are printed on the back side.
Only one Aadhaar card per family is not enough, every member has to get his or her own Aadhaar Card. Each Aadhaar Card number issued will be unique to each and every individual and will remain valid for life. There is no need to renew the Aadhaar card in future. Aadhaar Card by Unique Identification Authority of India i.e. UIDAI is not compulsory but completely optional for all the citizens of India. But still, it is recommended to get it issued, to be able to avail the benefits of government schemes like Pahal DBTL Scheme for getting a subsidy in bank accounts and much more such schemes.
In case you want to change your address in your Aadhaar Card or in case it is printed wrong then UIDAI is providing the web portal that facilitates the various important services like Aadhaar Card Address Change. That portal is called Self Service Update Portal (also known as SSUP). Using the SSUP, you can not only update your Aadhaar card address, but, also the other details like:
- Date of Birth
Steps for Aadhaar Card address change online
Follow the step by step instructions given below to change the address in your Aadhaar Card online:
- Begin by clicking on the link given https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
- A new page will be displayed.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number in the box saying “Enter your Aadhaar number”.
- Do the text verification then.
- After this click on “Send OTP”.
- You would then receive a One Time Password on your registered mobile number.
- A new page will be displayed.
- There you can fill in the details of the Aadhaar Card Address Change.
- Then as a final step, you need to upload the Aadhaar Card address change documents.
List of Aadhaar Card address change documents
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Voter ID Card
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Driving License
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead 17. NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Kisan Passbook
- Freedom Fighter Card
- CGHS / ECHS Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)