What is ration card?
Ration Card is a card issued by the government to the citizens of the country to buy subsidized food items such as wheat and rice and fuel like LPG and kerosene. They have turned out to be very helpful for the poor. It provides them with basic food items and also serves as an identity proof and provides a connection to the government database.
There are three types of ration card issued by the government of India:
1. BPL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families falling below the poverty line. Those who do not cross the income of 10,000 annually can apply for BPL Ration Card.
2. APL Ration Card:
It is basically for the families who fall above the poverty line. There is no income limit for this and anybody can apply for this ration card.
3. Antyodaya Ration Card
This is issued to the poorest family struggling to survive in the country. Unemployed people, woman and old people are covered under this category.
How to apply for ration card online?
Follow the step by step instructions given below to apply for ration card.
- Visit the official website of your state’s food supply department.
- Find the link to applying for new ration card.
- After finding the link, open it.
- A new page will be displayed showing the application form.
- Fill in the online application form. Make sure you do it very carefully without any mistakes.
- You will also be required to upload a family photo and documents of proof of residence and identity proof.
Proof of Address Documents
- Electricity/Water Bill
- Statement issued by Bank
- MTNL / BSNL Telephone bills
- Bank Passbooks
- Driving License
Proof of Identity Documents
- 10th Standard passing certificate
- Birth certificate issued by the civic agency of your state or any other appropriate document signifying the voter’s age.
- School Leaving Certificate Specifying Age
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Senior Citizen Card (if applicable)
- Aadhaar Card
- Kisan Card
- This way your application form for ration card will be submitted. After the verification process, the ration card will be dispatched to your home. Meanwhile, you can track the status of your ration card.
How to apply for ration card offline?
Those who do not have access to a computer or the internet can apply for ration card offline also. Go to the local food supply department office and get the application form for applying for ration card. Sometimes it is also known as the D-1 Form. Fill up the form carefully without any mistakes otherwise they would have to rectified later and submit the form. You will also have to attach passport size photo of your family along with documents of proof of residence and identity proof. The applicant also has to give an affidavit declaring that he/she has no other ration card in any other state of the country. The applicant will be given an acknowledgment slip in return. This way your application form for the ration card will be submitted. After the verification process ration card will be dispatched to your home. Meanwhile you can track the status of your ration card.