Passport is an official document issued by the government of the country. Along with allowing you to travel internationally it also acts as the biggest proof of citizenship as per the Passports Act of 1967. All the passports of India have the Emblem of India emblazoned on the front in the center of the front cover. The word “Passport” is inscribed in both Hindi and English above the emblem of India. Whereas the “Republic of India” is inscribed in both Hindi and English below the emblem of India.
The government of the country also requires that once the person of Indian Origin acquires foreign citizenship then he/she needs to surrender their Indian passport. Indian Citizenship Act does not allow dual citizenship. The government has decided to impose a penalty on those who continue to retain their Indian passport and travel on it even after acquiring foreign citizenship. A person caught may be imprisoned for 1 year which may extend up to 5 years and with a fine of Rs 10,000/- which may extend up to Rs. 50,000/-. However if a passport is not surrendered for 3 years after acquiring foreign citizenship but has not been used for traveling then no penalty will be imposed. So to surrender the passport one can apply online for it. Once canceled the passport is returned to you and the surrender certificate is issued.
How to apply for surrender certificate?
- Download the e-form from the Passport Seva Kendra online portal by clicking on the link given http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/downloadEFormStatic
- Fill up the downloaded e-form. Make sure you fill up the form very carefully. After filling up the form click on “Validate and Save”. After this, an XML file will be generated which will have to be uploaded later.
- Now register online from the Passport Seva Kendra online portal. If you have already registered just login through your registered id.
- Now click on the “Upload e-form” and upload the XML file which was generated earlier.
- Now take the printout of filled application form through the“View/Print Submitted Form” link available on the View Saved/Submitted Applications page.
- Make sure you keep the printed form carefully.
- Now take the form and other required original documents along with their Photostat copies to the Passport Seva Kendra office at the time of appointment.
There is one more method of applying for surrender certificate. The above-given process was for e-form submission. There is one more method to apply for the certificate directly online. Follow the steps given below to apply online.
- Register through the online portal of Passport Seva Kendra.
- If you have already registered then login through the registered id.
- After logging in you will see the link of “Apply for surrender certificate”.
- Click on the link.
- Fill in all the fields of the form carefully and submit it.
- Take the print out of the filled application form through the link of “View/Print Submitted Form”.
- Keep the printed form carefully with you.
- Now take the printed form and the other required original documents along with their Photostat copies at the Passport Seva Kendra office at the time of appointment.
- This completes all the steps of applying for surrender certificate for the passport.