Permanent Account Number (PAN) is unique to each individual and acts as a code of identification of Indians, especially those who pay income tax. It is a 10-characters alpha-numeric identifier issued to all judicial entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act of 1961. It also serves as an important proof of identification and is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department. The PAN is a must for a majority of financial transactions such as opening a bank account, receiving taxable salary or professional fees, sale or purchase of goods above specified limits etc.
PAN Card being such an important document, one cannot afford to have a damaged card or to lose it. But if something like this happens, one can apply for duplicate PAN Card. To apply you will have to submit your permanent account number. If you do not have your PAN Card number you can retrieve it using facilities at Income tax e-filling portal.
When should you apply for duplicate PAN Card?
- You have lost your PAN Card.
- Your card is stolen. (No need to have FIR copy or any complaint lodged for lost card).
- Your card is de-shaped/damaged/illegible.
The print out of your duplicate card will be exactly same as the original one. There will be no sign of it being a duplicate on the card. Make sure you fill in the right details correctly while re-applying for it. In case you want to make some changes in the card get the PAN Card correction form.
How to apply for Duplicate PAN Card?
Follow the instructions step by step mentioned below and you will know how to apply for duplicate PAN Card at NSDL portal.
- Go to the page of “Application for PAN through online services” by clicking on the link given https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/
- Select the tab “Reprint of Card”.
- Follow the link for “Online Application for Changes and Correction in PAN Data”.
- Find the selection button at the bottom of the image.
- Select the appropriate category of the applicant.
- Start filling up the form. Make sure you do it very carefully without any mistakes. Read the instructions given along with the form. Mention the permanent account number.
- After filling submit the form and you will receive the acknowledgment number soon enough.
- Take a print out of this acknowledgment receipt.
- Paste two passport size photos on the acknowledgment receipt. Put your signature going half across the photo.
- The charges can be paid online or a demand draft of Rs. 107 can be sent in favor of NSDL.
- Attach the documents of proof of identity, address, and date of birth.
- Send them to NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Ltd., 5th, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey no. 997/8, Model Colony, Nr. Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.
- Mention on top of envelop: “APPLICATION FOR PAN CHANGE REQUEST-N-Acknowledgement Number”. (mention your 15 digit acknowledgement receipt number)
- Envelop should reach NSDL within fifteen days from the date of online application for Duplicate PAN Card.
Later you can track the PAN status online. You can also do inquiry by calling NSDL helpline number at 020-27218080.