Green Urban Mobility Scheme
As the effects of global warming are becoming vivid the governments across the globe are taking initiative to recognize the problem and render fast solutions in order to suppress the adverse effects. The government of India is also formulating a scheme to make the cities greener and more eco-friendly.
About the Green Urban Mobility Scheme
Through the Green Urban Mobility Scheme, the government will promote the use of green public transports. It is going to be one of its kinds to be launched by the Indian government soon which would promote the use of hybrid/electric vehicles, non-motorized transport like footpaths and cycle tracks and non-fossil fuels among others for public transport.
In the starting stage, the scheme would be implemented in 103 cities. The scheme is to be finalized by Minister of State for Urban Development after taking views from the concerned stakeholders. After that, the scheme would be presented to the cabinet for further approval of implementation.
Key Features of the Green Urban Mobility Scheme
- Initially, the scheme would cover about 103 cities having more than 5lac population.
- This mission would be implemented in the period of seven years.
- For the process of implementation, the scheme would require funds of about Rs 70,000 crore.
- It is proposed that 10% will be contributed by urban local bodies, 30% amount would be given by the Centre and states government. And the remaining 60% amount would be raised as loan from multilateral agencies.
- The Scheme proposes the construction of pedestrian pathways, cycling tracks, public bike sharing, bus rapid transit (BRT) systems, intelligent transport system, urban freight management and innovating financing for transport systems and progressively shifts to usages of hybrid/electric and non-fossil fuels for public transport.
This is a very good step taken towards making our planet greener our atmosphere cleaner. Such initiatives mark the beginning of change. The Government has taken this initiative and shall be successful.