Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana by Punjab Government
Punjab State Government has initiated a cashless health insurance scheme named ‘Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana’ for(BCH) families in Punjab. Let us have a look on the preliminaries of the scheme.
About the Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana
- Under the Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana, the state government of Punjab provides a cashless health insurance up to Rs. 50,000 per family per year for accidental death and permanent disabilities.
- This scheme cover 28.05 lack Blue Card Holders (BCH) families who will get services of cashless treatment up to Rs. 50,000 in 214 government and 216 private hospitals in the state.
- The government covers trivial farmers, construction workers, and small traders under this scheme.
- The Bhagat Puran SinghSehat Bima Yojana gives coverage for meeting up with the payments for medical and surgical processes including maternity benefits in Punjab.
Objective of the Scheme
The main objective of the scheme is to provide protection to the economically weaker section of the state of Punjab.The scheme aims to shelter such weaker households from financial obligations arising out of upsetting health, which involves hospitalization.
The state government of Punjab launched this scheme with a goal to reduce government expenditure, to provide quality health care that avoids large out of pocket expenditure, to provide financial security against illness, to improve the health status of the State.
Benefits of the Scheme
- The government covers & provide benefits to the Blue Card Holders (BCH) families, marginal farmers, construction workers, and small traders under this health insurance scheme
- The government provides cashless health insurance Smart Cards up to Rs. 50,000 per family per year
- Benefits of Rs. 5 lack per head of family in case of accidental death and permanent disabilities covers under ‘Atta-Dal’ scheme
- The scheme also provide one-day pre-hospitalization and 5 days post hospitalization benefit respectively and cover preexisting condition from day one
- The beneficiaries will get cashless medical treatment in enrolled Government & Private hospitals in Punjab
- The scheme is free for the beneficiaries as the State Government will bear the entire premium the insurance company except for Rs. 30 per family as registration fee that shall be directly paid by the beneficiary
- There is a facility for transport allowance of Rs. 100 per hospitalization subject to an annual ceiling of Rs. 1000 & this will be provided by the hospital to the recipient at the time of discharge in cash
Eligibility Criteria for Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana
- Candidate must be the resident of Punjab state
- Candidate families should belong to Blue Card Holders (BCH) in Punjab
- Marginal farmers, construction workers, and small traders are eligible under this scheme
- Address proof of the applicant
- Income certificate of the applicant
- Blue card holder of the applicant
- Aadhaar card of the applicant
- Resident proof of the applicant
- Candidate should visit government hospitals or private hospitals associated with this insurance scheme
- Candidate contact health officer related to district/Taluka in Punjab
- Candidate also visit gram panchayat in villages
In an agriculture dominated country like India, such schemes to benefit the farmers are very crucial. These schemes are lauded as cases of suicides by farmers have seen a hike in the last few years. The number of suicides committed by Punjab farmers in 2015 due to agrarian crisis stands at 449. A simple study suggests that about 30percentt of 1,690 suicide cases in 10 states during 2015 have been reported in Punjab – the Wheat Bowl of India. The scheme, ‘Bhagat Puran Singh Sehat Bima Yojana’ is boon for the farmer and the families who sought refuge when under crises.